Winter Broths & Soups Part 1: Clear Broth with Vegetable & Buckwheat Noodles31st July 2018
Clear broths can be simply made with fresh or frozen bone stock with the addition of a few simple ingredients. A cup of broth as an appetizer before meals, warms the digestive system. A clear broth is an excellent remedy for colds and flu especially with the addition of lemon, garlic and some freshly grated ginger root. The addition of fresh or dried thyme and sage soothes a sore throat. The addition of dried seaweed such kombu or kelp, dulse, wakame, and nori add extra nutrients such as iodine and intensifies the flavours.
A light chicken stock serves as a simple base for a Clear Broth with Vegetable & Buckwheat Noodles.
- 2 chicken carcasses
- 2.5 litres spring or filtered water (make sure it is covering the bones)
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 3 medium spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- a nob of fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoons Ovvio Organic Provincial Herb & Spice Blend, or sage, thyme, garlic, peppercorns
- season with natural salt
Add to a stock pot bring to the boil and then turn heat down to simmer for 40-50 minutes. Strain and refrigerate for 3-4 days or freeze for 3 months.
To make a delicious Clear Broth with Vegetable & Buckwheat Noodles.
- 2 cups of frozen or fresh bone stock
- finely sliced spring onions or chives
- finely chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or coriander
- lemon or lime juice
- season with natural salt and pepper
- a quarter pack buckwheat noodles
- a cup of spiralized vegetables such as zucchini, carrot, pumpkin and sweet potato.
Heat bone stock in a pot. Add ingredients and simmer until noodles and vegetables are cooked. Season and serve.