WARM ME UP WITH CINNAMON SPICE & ALL THINGS NICE16th July 2015
Spices were among the most demanded and expensive products available in Europe in the Middle Ages, the most common being black pepper, cinnamon (and the cheaper alternative cassia), cumin, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Spices helped draw Europeans into their age of expansion, but the Western world was far from ignorant of them before that time.
In the book, SPICE: The History of a Temptation, Turner’s lively and wide-ranging account begins with the voyages of discovery, but demonstrates that, even in ancient times, spices from distant India and Indonesia made their way west and fueled the European imagination. Romans and medieval Europeans alike used Asian pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and mace to liven their palates, treat their maladies, enhance their sex lives and mediate between the human and the divine. While many of these applications were not particularly efficacious, spices retained their allure, with an overlay of exotic associations that remain today.
As a herbalist and cook, I use spices to transform simple ingredients into dishes I savour and heal and nourish. As a tea-maker I use spices to enhance the remedial properties of herbs. A perfect union of leaf and berry or flower and bark.
The following are my 6 favourite Ovvio Organic Teas and Herb & Spice Blends that contain these valuable and most treasured ingredients:
- NO: 24 SILK ROAD SPICE ORGANIC TEA. Go back in time and journey on the Silk route where spices were traded and prized. A blend of Cinnamon, Ginger and Red rooibos.
- NO: 60 NOURISH AROMATIC ORGANIC TEA This dear and precious tea is like a big bear hug for your mind and body. A blend of Aniseed, Cinnamon bark, Clove bud, Ginger root and Star anise.
- NO: 61 DANDY CHAI ORGANIC TEA Meet Dandy, the health-conscious cousin of Chai. The warming spices you love without the caffeine. A blend of Raw and roasted dandelion root, Roasted chicory root, Ginger root, Aniseed, Cinnamon, Clove bud and Cardamom pod.
- NO: 86 MULLED CHRISTMAS SPICE ORGANIC TEA Alight with spices and fragrant fruit. Evoke Christmas merriment all year round. A blend of Elderberry, Cinnamon, Juniper, Nutmeg, Hibiscus, Rosehip, Orange and Clove.
- ALL THINGS NICE ORGANIC SPICE BLEND A fragrant blend of sweet spices to sprinkle onto custard, ice cream or yoghurt or add to smoothies. A lovely flavour addition to cake and biscuit mixes or French toast.
- ORIENTAL ORGANIC HERB & SPICE BLEND This fragrant, aromatic blend is perfect on chicken, duck and orange slices or pork and apple. Creates a sweet crispy skin.