How to Reduce Allergy Symptoms Naturally19th May 2015
In last week’s post I wrote about why allergies are on the rise. This week I outline simple measures to:
- Reduce your exposure to allergens;
- Reduce the severity of allergies and alleviate symptoms naturally; and ultimately
- Prevent allergies from reoccurring
How to reduce your exposure to allergens
Remove the allergen and/or find an alternative? Check out these common examples…
- Gluten allergy? Eliminate grains altogether. Cross contamination with non-gluten grains such as rice and corn is still possible. Look out for gluten, in the form of wheat protein contained in personal care products such as hair conditioners.
- Dust allergy? Encase your mattress and pillows in dust-proof covers, wash all bedding and blankets once a week in hot water to kill dust mites and if possible, remove carpets, fabric curtains and upholstered furniture. When cleaning use a damp mop or rag to remove dust as dry material simply stirs up dust mite allergens.
- Mould allergy? If you have visible mold in your home, ask someone who isn’t allergic to mold to clean the area using a solution of 2 tablespoons of bleach to a litre of water in a spray bottle. A natural solution may be made with 20 drops of tea tree oil and 500mls of water. Ventilate your home. Damp areas, such as bathrooms, kitchens and basements, are most vulnerable. Open windows and allow air and sunlight to come through.
If you are unsure about what allergy you have, it is best to see your GP. They will recommend a skin prick test and/or blood test.
How to reduce the severity of allergies and alleviate symptoms naturally
Common allergy symptoms include sneezing, wheezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, coughing, itchy and watery eyes, itchy throat and skin. Antihistamines can be used for more minor reactions. Sometimes allergies can be asymptomatic causing internal damage to the gut while other allergies can cause anaphylactic reactions and require urgent treatment. Symptoms can include abdominal pain, cramping, diarrhoea, vomiting, hives or rash, chest tightness, cough, wheezing, shock and throat swelling.
The following natural remedies provide relief for mild allergy signs and symptoms only: read on as Anthia writes on RESCU